Monday, June 29, 2015

New stories and new experiences

Hola amigos!

It’s the end of the day, and most people are probably hanging out with friends, heading home, or getting ready for dinner. Where am I? In a café listening to Jae-Hee tell us that people name Angelica or more likely to go insane. Her reasoning? They associate their name with being good, being an angel. Personally, I think this is great fun fact.
When I decided to go to Peru I thought that I would only learn about the Peruvian culture; picking up some Spanish and at least generally getting to know my homestay family. Thus far this trip has gone above and beyond all expectations. I have made new friends in other forms. More than that I have had an amazing experience with my homestay family. Originally I didn’t expect to think of my family as a real family, their home as my own. Now, however; I couldn’t imagine my life without having known these people. For example, last night I made bracelet’s with my mom, Yenet; her daughter, Macaela; and her nephew and nieces. In reality my Spanish is sparse at best, and I probably didn’t do the greatest job of explaining how to make the bracelets. Did this stop anyone from having fun? No! We communicated with smiles, and laughter, and tons of hand motions. This Peru trip has given me more than the chance to immerse myself in a new language. I gained the opportunity to immerse myself in new friends; a new family.
My great experience with my home stay isn’t the only awesome thing that has happened on this trip this far. Take today. Today was the festival of Ollantayraimi. This is a celebration of the founding of Ollantaytambo. I spent my day frolicking the markets, and watching performances. In morning there was a huge theater production on the Incan ruins of the history of Ollantaytombo. It was fantastic with amazing music. You really felt transported as the backdrop of the mountains loomed over you, and the Incan trails serenaded with music. Later there was a dancing performance, with girls and boys doing dance routines so complicated they seemed almost to float as their skirts and ponchos swirled around them.  After the festival we were treated to a traditional feast called pachamanca, in which food is cooked underground over hot stones.  We also had our first Quecha lesson today.
For the people who don’t believe in magic, or can’t find it, come here. It’s everywhere, and my adventure in this magical place is just beginning.
-Nailah




No comments:

Post a Comment